25 Things About Comm Arts

By Flora Farr, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Communications Arts High School prides itself in being a hub of creativity and rigorous academics. With this year being the one that it celebrates the big 2-5, it seemed like a good time to reminisce 25 of the milestones and achievements that Comm Arts has had since its founding.

1. Comm Arts was founded in 1995. (First day of  school 1995.)

Photo Courtesy of April (Padron) Bennett

1. Comm Arts students attended classes in portables on the Taft High School campus.

1. Comm Arts had its first graduating class in 1999. 

1. In 2003 the Comm Arts building was built to replace the portables the school was originally held in.
  1. Every year Comm Arts has a festival called Commstock which is a showcase of students’ musical talents.
  1. Comm Arts has an annual event the day before Thanksgiving Break called Turkey Fest. Turkey Fest is a celebration where everyone gets together to hang out in the Comm Arts halls and enjoy different snacks and food provided by different classes and clubs. 
  1. Comm Arts hosts an annual Comm Banquet in the spring.  It is a dinner and dance for all of the students.
  1. In 2005, admission to Comm Arts became a lottery based system. 
  1. Comm was named as the 26th Top American Public School by Newsweek in 2008.
  1. Comm Arts was named as the 17th Top American Public School by Washington Post  in 2009.
  2. Comm Arts was named as the 19th Top American Public School by Newsweek in 2010.
  3. Comm Arts was named as one of America’s 100 most challenging high schools by the Washington Post since 2011.
  1. In 2011 Comm Arts was recognized by the Texas Education Agency.
  1. In 2012 Comm Arts had its first Grass Roots event where students share their poetry, music, comedy and more. 

Photos Courtesy of Carey McCarthy

1. Dr. Baker became the principal in 2016.
  1. Comm was named as the 57th most challenging American high school by the Washington Post in 2017.
  1. In 2019 CAHS student, Anh Adams received the Princeton Book Award.
  1. In 2019 Comm was named as a “Kindness Certified School”.
  1. In 2019 it was discovered that Comm was infested with a colony of bats which were later on removed.
  1. In 2019 Mrs. Frias was selected for the Kens 5 Excel Award.
  1. In 2019 CAHS journalists got to participate in the first of many visits from international visitors to receive new opportunities to interview.

Photos Courtesy of Carey McCarthy

1. In 2019 the Spanish 6 class started an online newspaper, “Familia CAHS”. This year they are producing a blog.
  1. In 2020 Comm turned 25-years-old.
  1. In 2021 Comm Arts Media (the journalism program) launched its news site.

https://studentnews.nisd.net/comarts/

1. In February 2021 Comm Arts moved their 25th Anniversary celebration plans from in-person to virtual due to the restrictions made by COVID-19. So be sure to watch it live on www.nisd.net/live Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.

While these events don’t cover the half of what has been accomplished and seen at Comm Arts in the last quarter of a century, they are still pretty impressive, and none of them could have been done without the supportive students, teachers, and parents that make this COMMunity. Happy 25th birthday CAHS!